Success Starts Today

US Student Visa Guidelines

are you planning to study in the US?

here is everything you need to know about securing a us student visa!


1. International students will either apply for an F or M Visa, depending on their course and institution

2. To be eligible to apply for the Visa, students must first be enrolled at a SEVP approved school in the US.

3. Students are required provide proof of their English language proficiency. (IELTS minimum Band 6.5)

4. Students should begin their application process early as the waiting time varies depending on circumstances.

F Visa / M Visa

To study in the United States (US), you must have a Student Visa. Depending on your course and type of institution, you will either need an F Visa or an M Visa.

F Visa - You must be enrolled at either a university or college, or another academic institution, including language training programs.

M Visa - You must be enrolled at a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than language training programs.

To be eligible, you must:

1. You must apply and successfully enroll at a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school in the United States

2. Once you are enrolled, you will be registered for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.

3. Your school will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status/Form I-20, which you must present to the consular officer during your Visa interview.


If you’re in the United States for a short period recreational study, you are encouraged to apply for a Visitor (B) Visa instead. Your short course or recreational course should not credit toward an academic certificate.

What You Need


Passport that is valid for at least six months after your period of stay in the US.


A Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) confirmation page.


Fee payment receipt (if required).


Your photo (To be uploaded when you complete the online Form DS-160).


Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status/Form I-20.

Additional Documents

A consular officer may request additional documents during your interview, such as:


Academic transcripts or certificates from the schools you attended.


Standardized test scores required by your US host school.


Your intent to depart the US once you complete your course.


Financial proof that you are able to pay for your educational, living, and travel costs.

When To Apply

International students / from outside the US: 

Online Visa Application

Note: Digital fingerprint scans will be taken during the interview as part of the application process


Medical Screening / Health Insurance

Duration of Stay

Extended Stay

English Language Requirements

Biometric Residence Permit

Your Arrival