Success Starts Today

Switzerland Student Visa Guidelines

are you planning to study in Switzerland?

here is everything you need to know about securing a Switzerland student visa!


1. Students must apply for a Swiss Student Visa, long-stay Visa, and residence permit by presenting proof of enrolment into a Swiss university.

2. Students must submit the original copies of their documents, along with copies translated into either German, French, Italian, or Romansh.

3. With a residence permit (Permit B), students can stay for up to 1 year. Extension is available.

4. Students can only work while studying after staying in Switzerland for 6 months..

Switzerland Student Visa

To be eligible, you must:

Be accepted into a Swiss higher education institution with proof of enrollment.

International students who want to study in Switzerland must apply for a Switzerland Student Visa, which is a type of national Visa.

If you are staying in Switzerland for more than 90 days, you must apply for a residence permit, known as Permit B.

However, you must first apply for a Switzerland long-stay Visa, also known as a National or D-Visa. This Visa is issued to third-country nationals who move to Switzerland for study and work purposes, as well as to be with family. The necessity of the D-Visa application depends on your nationality.


EU/EFTA students don't need a Visa. You can apply for a residence permit within 14 days of arriving in Switzerland.

You must include in your application:

  • Proof of enrollment at a university.
  • Health insurance.
  • Proof of financial capability to pay for your living costs.

If you come from these countries, you are exempt from applying for a D-Visa: · Schengen countries. You can learn more about the countries here.
  • Future Schengen member countries (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania)
  • Andorra
  • Brunei
  • Great Britain
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Vatican City

Please note that you are still required to apply for a residence permit regardless of your nationality if you plan to stay in Switzerland for more than 90 days.

What You Need


Proof of enrollment at your university


Proof that you have paid for the first year of your enrollment


Copies of your previous educational certificates.


Personal essay. Include your future plans or professional development plans.


Mandatory documents for every Swiss Visa application


Application for a D-Visa (3 forms)


Signed application forms


A passport that is valid at least 3 months after your planned exit from Switzerland. Your passport must have at least 2 empty pages


3 copies of pages 1-4 of your passport, the last page, issue, expiry page, and copies of all your previous Visas.


4 passport-sized and biometric pictures.


Financial proof in the form of bank statements or letter.

Note: You must provide 3 copies of your original documents and translated copies in either German, French, Italian, or Romansh.

When To Apply

International students / from outside the Switzerland: 

Visa Application Procedure

You must apply for your Student Visa at the Swiss representation (embassy/consulate) in your country. Please refer to the following steps for your application:


*Please refer to the Swiss embassy/consulate in which you submit your Visa application, or contact [email protected] for more information.

Medical Insurance

Duration of Stay

Extended Stay

After graduating, you can apply for a residency permit (valid for 6 months) to look for a permanent job.

To apply, you must present:

English Language Requirements

Permit B / Biometric Card

As a student studying in Switzerland, you will receive a Swiss residence permit (Permit B) in the form of a biometric card.

To obtain your residence permit, you must:

Working With A Student Visa