Success Starts Today

Germany Student Visa Guidelines

are you planning to study in Germany?

here is everything you need to know about securing a Germany student visa!


1. You must be clear of the type of Visa you are applying for. There are three types of Visas: Student Visa, Student Applicant Visa, and Language Course Visa.

2. You must schedule an interview and appointment to submit your documents. Any late submission will not be entertained.

3. Health Insurance is mandatory except for students in countries that issue a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

4. You may be required to provide proof of German/English language proficiency, depending on the program you’ve enrolled in.

Type of Visas

1. Student Visa (Visum Zu Studienzwecken)
This is for students who are already accepted into a German university. (Refer to ‘What You Need’ for requirements)

2. Student Applicant Visa (Visum Zur Studienbewerbung)
This Visa is for students who have not received their confirmation letter from a German university, and for students who are still looking for the right program to study in Germany.
(Contact [email protected] for more information.)

3. Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning)
This Visa lasts from 3 to 12 months for students taking short German language courses.
(Contact [email protected] for more information.)


Although mandatory, students from countries that issue a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) do not need the German statutory health insurance.

The countries involved are the EU, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Morocco, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Tunisia and Turkey.

What You Need


Two completed national Visa application forms.


A valid National passport.


Two Biometric Portrait Photographs (Please contact [email protected] for requirements).


Proof of enrollment at a German education institution. You're required to send any of the following:

  • University admission letter
  • Foundation program admission letter, issued by a Studienkolleg (German prep college for international students)
  • Propaedeutic program admission letter
  • Preparatory German language course admission letter


Proof of German language proficiency, for German-only and mixed-language study programs. (Refer ‘Language Requirements).


Proof of English language proficiency, for English and mixed-language study programs only. (Refer ‘Language Requirements).


Academic transcript.


Financial proof to show that you are able to cover your living, accommodation, and study costs. (Contact [email protected] for more information).


A student health insurance with at least €30,000 coverage that is valid for at least 3 months.


A personal essay that expresses your reason for choosing your program and university, as well as your study plans.


Proof that you have paid the application fee.

When To Apply

Visa Application Procedure


Health Insurance ​

Processing Time

Extended Stay

Language Requirements

German-only and Mixed-language Study Programs

English and Mixed-language Study Programs


Your Arrival